Friday, December 17, 2010

Some Strangest Things Ever About Sweden!!!!

Dear readers,

I had to write a blog about some things that are really strange to me about Sweden. Things that would not be possible in Germany due to our Nazi history.

First of all, Sweden seems to be obsessed with "Riks...". Basically that means "reichs..." in German, which in English would be something similar to "national" or "kingdom (empire)". Examples include:
  1. Riksbank (the Swedish national bank)
  2. Riks FM (a national radio station)
  3. Riksförbundet (Rechsverband in German) and in English national committee or club
As a German, this is very wierd to see in Sweden. As all of you probably know, in Germany during the Hitler Era, we had the idea of the "Tausenjähriges Reich" (the thousand year empire) and "das deutsche Reich" (the German empire). Banks, our currency, railroad service and other things all began with the word "Reichs..." (="empire") -> Reichsmark, Reichsbahn, etc.

While the Swedish obviously have no problem with using the suffix "reichs" to name a number of organisations in Sweden, we would never be able to do that in Germany. The suffix "reichs..." (="empire") is directly connected with our Nazi history in Germany, and it is (rightfully so) illegal to use this suffix. I can't believe that in Sweden this suffix is still openly used.

Here comes the second thing that astounded me (and slightly disappointed me) about Sweden. Two weekends ago I was in Stockholm with my buddies from Germany. We were walking along the main touristy street called "Drottninggatan" (yes, also where the Stockholm suicide attack happened), and I couldn't believe my eyes.

There were two CLEARLY AND I SAY CLEARLY identifiable Neo-Nazis talking to two police men. Simply discussing life (I guess) and laughing while they were at it. These two Neo-Nazis were wearing typical Neo-Nazi gear, including black boots with the white shoe laces, large, bulky jackets with Swedish flags and "Sweden" written on them, shaven heads and the typical Neo Nazi military pants. I couldn't believe my eyes. Sure, these guys weren't doing anything, but if there were two Neo-Nazis walking in a populated and touristy area in Berlin, my home city, and police would see them, the police would likely ask them to leave or in some cases arrest the Neo-Nazis.

Why were these two Neo-Nazis allowed to freely wear their outfits on a busy street in public in Stockholm?!?! Sure, I agree with freedom of speech, but I don't agree with openly allowing racists to exhibit themselves in a populated city centre. I think it looks bad for the country and gives right-wing extremists and Neo-Nazis more power that they don't need (if they can simply walk on a main street in Stockholm without getting arrested, and talking to cops while at it)!!!!

What do you, my readers, think about this topic? Please comment! This is one thing that shocked me about Sweden, and that I really didn't like. Maybe I'm overly sensitive since I come from Germany, a country with a Nazi history, and have a multicultural background, but I still don't believe in allowing racists to openly exhibit their beliefs!!!!

Finally, I would like to make everyone aware of that this was one incident. Otherwise, I have not seen any type of open racism in Sweden and I don't want you, my readers, to think that Sweden is a racist or Neo-Nazi rich country. I'm mentioning an experience that I had which shocked me.

//Julian

2 comments:

  1. Hej Buddy

    as u said we're free to announce our opinion, so they're free to exhibit their beliefs.

    Also never forgot there are some political issues that we don't about them and also maybe they have powerful tools in Sweden economy.

    Enjoy from your weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Homayoun,

    Thanks again for your insightful comment! :-) Definitely, that's the nice thing about Sweden. People have freedom of speech, which I think is a good thing! Have a nice week!

    Julian

    ReplyDelete