Friday, December 03, 2010

More Excursion and Winter Wonderland Fun!!!

Hey people!!!!

I hope that everyone is having a phenominal week. I've certainly had a very interesting and cold one. As you probably know from my previous post, I've had several class excursions this week into the forest. Meanwhile we are expreiencing one of the coldest and early winter peroids in many years in Sweden. I can honestly say that I feel this!!! Damn cold!!! Really nice forest and very picturesque sceneries, but fridgidly cold.

In this post I will add some more pictures and publish some pictures of my classmates (I hope they don't mind). With these pictures, I would like to show you, my readers, some close-ups of every day student life at SLU as a Natural Resource student. The following pictures give an impression of the beauty of winters here in the surrounding SLU areas.

The reason for our excursion was to visit key woodland habitats. Basically key woodland habitats are limited protected areas that harbour rare or threatened plant and/or animal communities. We visited ones that were primarily covered with oak (Quercus spp.). In the hemi-boreal zone of Uppsala (around SLU) deciduous trees play a key role in sustaining rare flora and fauna. Quercus spp.  are expecially valuable in ecosystems at this latitude (ca. 60° North).

Pic. 1: Light shimmering in the frost-covered branches and twigs of an old oak tree.
 
Pic. 2: A photo of my class. It was cold, but yes, we were all in very good spirits!

Pic. 3: Ice-covered trees and snowy road.

Pic. 4: Snow and ice-covered trees. Absolutely beautiful!

Pic. 5: Here I was attempting to catch the feel and mood of this cold morning weather.

Pic. 6: Snow and ice-covered trees directly adjacent to Lake Mälaren.


These are the pictures that I wanted to show you. I think class excursions are not only of educational value where we learn various information, but also a great way to build cohesion between class members. I really had fun on our class trips.

Unfortunately, the camera and pictures only pick up a small part of the feeling and mood of this past morning. Once you are here studying at SLU, you can see the winter wonderland for yourself! Again, I really enjoyed this trip, but it was cold!!!

BRING WARM CLOTHES WITH YOU IF YOU WANT TO STUDY HERE!!!!

/Julian

4 comments:

  1. U're working good Julian :D

    I suppose that day temperature was near -16 or more...

    nice shots...

    Good luck man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. u can see my blog but it's my language :D
    it's soiliran.blogfa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Homayoun,

    Thank you once again for your very positive comment on my blog. Yes, this day was really cold but amazingly beautiful. As you can see from the pictures, the sky was completely blue, the sun was shining and there were minuscule snowflakes glittering in the sunlight. I never use this word to describe something, but I think it was really "magical".

    Take care and have a nice day, and thanks again for your positive responses. Should there be anything you think I should write about or something that you would like to read, please let me know and I will blog about that.

    /Julian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Homayoun,

    I will look at your blogs over the next days and let you know what I think about it! :-)

    /Julian

    ReplyDelete