Saturday, December 11, 2010

Forest Research Centre Visit and Weekend Plans

I hope that all of you are as happy the weekend is here as I am. It was a good week, however I procrastinated with school work a little. I will have to make up for that during this coming week.

Well yesterday, Friday, my "Forest Environment and Conservation" class visited "Skogforsk", the Swedish Forest Research Institute. I thought it was really fun and highly informative. The theme of our Skogforsk visit was "natural forest fires and prescribed burning of forests in Sweden". I thought this was really interesting because, as you all know from my biography I fought fires and initiated prescribed burns throughout the Western United States while I worked for the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service. It was very fascinating to discuss the similarities and differences between Swedish and U.S. forest fire management measures. In short, the main differences between Swedish and U.S. fire management include much less burning of forests, worse fire weather here in Sweden and of course more uniform ecosystem and forest types in Sweden versus the United States. Additionally, Swedish forest companies have negative views on fires, as opposed to U.S. companies, which use fire as a tool for pre-commercial thinning and elimiating forest litter.

This is a little insight of what we discussed at Skogforsk. Later today I plan to visit the Stockholm Ice Bar.

Have a nice weekend everybody and my next post will be about sports and other activities offered here at SLU.

//Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment