Tuesday, December 07, 2010

GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Dear all,

I hope that you all had a really nice and relaxing weekend (and also some partying)! :-)

I certainly had a very fun weekend. Definitely not very productive from an educational standpoint. Once in a while, after all the homework, interaction with professors and classes I feel that I need to relax and engage in some hardcore partying. Do you, my readers, agree?

No, I did not party alone. Four of my good friends came from Berlin, Germany, my home town, to Uppsala to visit me for the weekend. It was great. Of course I asked them to bring some affordable and cheap alcohol from Germany. (Small tip: if you study abroad in Sweden and occasionally consume alcohol, I advise you to bring it from Germany or your home countries. If you're not from Norway or Iceland where alcohol is more expensive, BRING CHEAP ALCOHOL TO SWEDEN!!!! This will save you $$$$$$, and lots of it)! So over the weekend we went sightseeing around Uppsala, ate good food and relaxed in the evening with some drinks. My friends were ecstatic about the powdery snow that currently blankets much of Sweden, and we took full advantage of it in the form of multiple snowball fights.

Sweden, at least around Uppsala, has some really great snow. As opposed to Berlin, the snow here is actually white and remains as snow for a while. In Berlin it tends to snow, the snow then melts, it freezes over and then is either brown, dirty ice or slush. This is not very pleasant.

On Saturday we all took the train to Stockholm. Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home, didn't take any pictures and thus I can't upload any yet. I need to get them from my buddies. We only were in Stockholm for a few hours, but what I saw was very beautiful and historic. We walked around the touristy city center with all the souvenir shops, to the royal palace and finally through the city center to the Christmas market. The market was relatively small, but really fun!

Overall, I had a great time, and it was also good to peace out from school work and the serious life. Now it is Tuesday again and I have plenty of assignments to complete again. As an international student I really think it's important to keep your connections strong with people at home or friends from abroad. Skype is a perfect solution to that, and an occasional visit is always alot of fun! Have your friends visit you sometime or go visit them! You'll enjoy a piece of home and some good company from friends!

Enjoy the day, people!

6 comments:

  1. Right said about the hooch,friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. but your friends were nearly close to you.. our friends from our country are too far and it is not possible to come and have fun during a weekend after a serious week with diffcult lab report of soil chemistry!
    anyway lucky you!

    and i totally agree with you about the price not only in alcohol but aslo everything.. here is really an expensive country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ramnath,

    Yeah, that is the way it is here!!! ;-)

    Have a nice day!

    /Julian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear homayoun,

    Thanks once again for the positive comment!

    Have a great day!!

    /Julian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear مرمر,

    Trust me, I know how difficult it is to have your friends so far away! While I studied for my Bachelor in the USA it was really hard to not see my friends and people from home. I feel for you and hope that you will be able to see them soon again.

    This is one negative point about being an international student: often you are really far away from home and your friends. Also, Sweden is a little out of the way, as opposed to Germany or France, which is located in Central Europe and closer to other large cities and other places in Europe. I was very happy when I studied in Denmark last year. It was only a short bus ride back home to Berlin and to see my friends in Germany. Now here in Uppsala, I need to fly back to Germany. It's a much longer way.

    Still I hope that you've met some good people here to substitute for your friends from back at home!

    Finally, yes alcohol is excessively expensive, and yes, commodity and food prices are on the higher end of the scale! No question about that!

    I hope that you enjoy your stay and study here at SLU and that you survive the cold winter!

    /Julian

    ReplyDelete