Thursday, December 16, 2010

Continued.... My Extracurricular Activity

Dear readers,

This is a continuation of my last post about extracurricular activities at SLU.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Uppsala Academic Rowing Club, it is the only academic rowing club (i.e. directly affiliated with a university) in Sweden. If you've rowed before you might ask yourself how good the club's members are. I would say there is a variety of training levels in the club. Two of our members, and also guys that I row and train with, Anders and Carl, both won the 2010 Swedish Rowing Championships. I've rowed at the "Göta Älv" race in Gothenburg this fall and plan on rowing competitively during the spring season. Some people (like myself) train almost daily, some train several times a week and some people train only once in a while. It's simply important to find a right niche in the club. This is not very difficult though and everyone seems to be nice at the club (Up until now I've never had or heard of anything bad happening).

Back to the Student Unions. Their website is only in Swedish, unfortunately, but with Google Translate you can get the basic gist of the website's content: http://www.ultunastudentkar.se/ . Also, SLU's website mentions the Student Unions: http://www.slu.se/en/education/student-life/students-unions/ 

If you're interested in or have questions about the Student Unions or the Uppsala Academic Rowing Club, please ask me questions about them and I will try to find answers for you.

My take-home-message: SLU has a lot of activities to offer. With the Student Nations, Student Unions and countless clubs, sports and social activities and unions are an integral part of student life here at SLU. I think they are all a great way to get to know people and I think are also a convenient way to network and find good (possibly even professional) contacts.

Take care and have a great end of the week!!

//Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment