Friday, January 28, 2011

One Critique of the Swedish Train Service, SJ

Dear readers,

It's the end of the week!!! Whooooo!! Do you have plans for the weekend yet? Tonight I will hang out with one of my room mates and relax and Saturday night it looks as though I will be attending a party that I was invited to with some friends.

I have one point of critique towards the Swedish train service, SJ.

Why are we not allowed to bring bikes aboard the X2000 trains? I understand that they are new and look good and everything, but why isn't there a place for bikes?

Every time I travel to Copenhagen I prefer to bring my wonderful bicycle with me. I can ride around the city and I save quite a bit of money by not having to buy expensive public transportation tickets, and also time by not having to wait for slow busses. The last time I brought by bike onboard the X2000, of course the bike frame with the wheels taken off, the SJ staff gave me soooooooo much stress! Totally uncool.

The Swedish train service portrays themselves as environmentally friendly, but bikes are NOT allowed on the long-distance trains! Even in the USA where very few people use bikes as a means of transportation, AMTRAK (the U.S. train service) allows you to bring a bike onboard! C'mon SJ pick it up, and allow us people that are trying to be even more environmentally friendly to bring a bike onboard (or have a place to store the bikes) and promote bikes as a means of transportation! I love the Swedish train service, and I've never had a problem with them.

I would love them even more if bikes were allowed aboard the long distance trains. In Denmark, Germany and in the USA (the countries that I've lived in for a while) you can take bikes aboard long distance trains without any problems.


SJ, bikes on trains are cool and environmentally friendly!!!!

Anyways, that's my rant. 

Have a great weekend everyone, and I look forward to a new week of working on my Master's and blogging!

Julian

2 comments:

  1. hej man

    SJ and UL are totally shit!

    there're lots of black points and if u talk with an open mind Swedish he will nag about it for u but as u know everywhere in the world has its own problems and weakness!

    so don't bother yourself :D

    Homayoun

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Homayoun:

    I don't know man, personally I've never had a problem with the SJ and I've used them four times now to travel back and forth to/from Copenhagen. I like their service and they're pretty fast and have never been more than 5 minutes late for me. I really just dislike that you can't take bikes with you on the train! I mean what is that?

    Isn't Sweden supposed to be environmentally friendly? I mean what's a more environmentally friendly way of travelling than taking the train and then continuing to your destination by bike?!?!

    Anyways, take care dude and thanks for your comments! Makes my blog look good and read! Have a nice weekend man!

    Julian

    ReplyDelete