Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This One Is Dedicated to City People Like Myself

Hey everyone! Hope that you're all having a blast today! All's well here and survived the Monday!

I will write a blog specifically geared towards city people like myself.

I will begin talking about the size of Uppsala and Ultuna. They are both fairly small. Uppsala is of course larger than Ultuna (which basically consists of some residential areas and SLU). Don't expect anything large and fast similar to the environment of major cities. Uppsala is pretty layed back and not a very wild place. There are parties and bars at the student nations, but they close anywhere between 1am and 4am, which in my opinion is excessively early. A good way to get around that is to go to or throw your own parties. It's often cheaper and you can guide or end the party at your will.

Lately, I've been a little fed up with the country life around Ultuna. It's pretty out there. Ask a person that comes from a small city and they will say Ultuna is decent-sized, but for myself coming from Berlin and having spent much time in New York City, Ultuna is really out in the sticks (boonies, country). I miss the impulses of city life and the museums, people and cultural diversity that a city offers.

Final thoughts...

Overall I like Ultuna. It's quaint, layed back, picturesque, but out there! A really good place to study, and after all, what are you here for at SLU? One thing that I will do this weekend (probably on Saturday) is take the train to Stockholm to cure the quiet in my brain with traffic noise, people, lights, trains, ethnic foods and surrounding movement/stress. I also plan on visiting a museum when I go. Even though it may sound ironic, I need these sort of impulses to feel relaxed and fulfilled.

The nice thing, Stockholm is merely 45 minutes away from Uppsala by train and highly affordable to reach, so always a convenient getaway for the noise-seekers!

Cheerio readers and fellow city-dwellers! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment