Friday, June 17, 2011

Great Day Trip!!!

Dear readers,

I hope that all of you are well and you are enjoying some summer weather. Today the weather in Uppsala is rather grey and rainy. Actually this sort of weather is actually a pleasant change from the long spell of warm and sunny weather. I occasionally enjoy a cool and moist day. Good for the plants and animals and good for keeping the air fresh. :-)

So, this time I want to tell you readers about a small and very pleasant day trip that you can do while studying in Uppsala.

I personally can't stay in one place for too long. Generally after two months of being in once place, town or city I need to flee from that place and visit and relax at some other location. The city of Uppsala is rather small in my opinion and it's nice to see something new.

What do I do to get my time away? Go to Stockholm for a day! :-) (Yeah, it rhymes!)

Stockholm is a really nice city. The city has a beautiful old part called "Gamla Stan" and you can enjoy your time at various bars, restaurants, clubs and just hang out at the piers off of the road named "Strandvägen". Strandvägen is really great especially on a sunny day. You're basically walking along the water all the time and you can sit down for a beer and relax in the sun. Besides this, Stockholm has some nice museums that you can visit. Entrance is a little expensive sometimes (around €7-12) but I think it's worth it.

The train ticket is also affordable and is around €7 for one way. So all in all if you feel like spending around €30-40 you can have a really great day in Stockholm and walk around and see most of the city's attractions. Moreover, there are often sports events and concerts in Stockholm. You just need to find them. After a long day in the city it's great to return to the serenity of Uppsala and ultimately Ultuna campus where you can rest after a long day.

I've "escaped" a few times and I always feel more relaxed once I'm away from my regular work and living place for a while. Just an affordable idea and a great daytime low-budget student trip.

Take care my readers and look for my next blog!

Peace and love!

Julian

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I found your blog when searching for students studying abroad in Sweden because I'm considering U. of Gothenburg's HDK (design school) for grad school. There I was, reading along when you mentioned you came from Ithaca College! I go to Cornell now! The comparisons of the two places were that much more vivid. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alex,

    I'm not familiar with the U. of G-burg HDK, but G-burg (Gothenburg) is a nice city. The only thing about G-burg is that it rains there alot and is quite windy. Other than that G-burg is a pretty nice place to be and it's pretty close to Norway (Oslo). I really recommend that you take a day trip (if you can afford it/have time) to Norway if you can. Oslo is a pretty nice city.

    Wow, that's cool that you attend Cornell. Yeah, I was at the other university on the other side of the hill! South Hill and also the rival school when it came to sports! :-P

    What do you think about my descriptions on Ithaca? Were they accurate? :-)

    Take care and have a nice day!

    Julian

    ReplyDelete