Monday, May 23, 2011

After all this information on Sweden, where does it leave us?

Dear readers,

I hope that the past weekend and days have been pleasant for you. Right now is a super busy time for me because I'm getting my Master's Thesis draft done. Unfortunately this means that partying is not really in the picture. Last week I spent an average of 12 hours a day working on and writing my Master's Thesis paper. Just a little word of warning for you getting ready to do your Master's: it's really quite a bit of work at the end. Also quite a few organisational details need to be addressed.

Anyhow, my past blogs have dealt with studying in Sweden from an American Perspective. You guys can now find out information of what it's like studying, partying, living and eating here. Great! So where does all of this leave us at the end? Do I recommend coming to Sweden, and what's the take-home message from my last series of blogs?

Let me begin with the overall experience that I've had in Sweden so far. In general, I've had some really nice and interesting times here in Sweden during the past 9 months of living and studying here. I've met some very interesting people, seen many new things (including the city of Uppsala and Stockholm and some other parts of Sweden) and of course attended some very fun and academically challenging classes here at SLU.

My final verdict. I think it's great to come to Sweden for one exchange year. At the same time, I've met some students here that have been here for several years. They all really seem to like it. I like it here in Uppsala, but it's just too rural for me. I wouldn't live here for more than one year. Also, I prefer a place that has more relaxed rules about alcohol and partying. I can understand that the Swedish government doesn't want people drinking (especially in Northern Sweden where the winters are completely dark) and alcohol is a HUGE source of tax revenue, but when it comes to having just a couple of beers to relax I don't like the government control of the Swedish liquor stores, the Systembolaget. It's a little too much government and too many rules for me.

On the other hand, I think the educational system here in Sweden is great. Everyone has the chance to attend university without any larger worries about finances as education is free and the cost of attending university can be subsidised by the government.

Uppsala is a really nice place during Spring when it actually gets warm here. The winters are beautiful but too cold for me! :-) I prefer a more temperate climate with shorter winters. I don't mind the cold very much, just if the cold is between -10°C and -20°C for more than one month (which it is here) it gets too much for me.

I've had a great time here and it's been a wonderful opportunity to study here, but I really look forward to moving on with life and to a warmer place where I speak the language and that is more populous.

Before writing this blog I've discussed with some other exchange students the experiences they have had in Sweden and their views on their entire study period. There seems to be a general consensus among the people that I've talked to. I've talked to around 20 or so exchange students during the past few weeks. The general consensus is that everyone is very happy that they came here, but most are ready to leave and move on to other places.

For you that are planning to study in Sweden, don't be biased by this opinion. I still think it's a great opportunity to study abroad in Sweden, and you should seize that opportunity. See for yourself where your new experiences and studies take you!

Get out and see the world! Come to Sweden to study! You won't regret it and who knows, I know some people that have moved here from Germany and have stayed here for over ten years. So see for yourself!


Julian

No comments:

Post a Comment